Thursday 5 April 2007

Letter to Lord Coe - 16th January 2007

Lord Coe
London 2012
One Churchill Place
Canary Wharf
London
E14 5LN

16th January 2007

Dear Lord Coe

2012 Olympics

Like most of the country I was delighted when Great Britain was awarded the 2012 Olympic Games. What an honour for you. What an honour for us all! What an opportunity for the country! And what a sight to see those French faces when the announcement was made. It made my year seeing their little red faces. I have to say that I think I also detected a slight smirk on your face as well your Highness!

Like the bulk of sports fans I can’t wait for 2012 and the opportunity to show the world what a show we Brits can put on - if only we put our minds to it. Hopefully you’ll not rely too much on those wombats in Number 10 and 11 for too much help – mind you, you’ll not see them for dust now they’ve had their photo opportunities. But never mind, you’ll find there’s an army of us willing helpers out here in the country who’ll not mind getting their hands dirty for the sake of the show.

For my part I’ve decided to embrace this Olympic opportunity 100%. But not for me a passive role as a spectator.

I want to take part.

So, I’ve begun my training and preparation for the Olympic Marathon. I’ve done a bit of running in my time and, indeed, I’ve done the marathon distance before. In fact – and I don’t like to sound too negative about our country’s heroes - but, unlike certain female marathon runners I could name, I can at least safely say that I’ve finished every marathon I’ve started (and I’ve never felt the rather distasteful need to stop off for a number two half way round either).

You’ll also be relieved to know that I’m not going for a typical Brit performance – you know, try as hard as I can but come second. Nope – that gold medal has got my name written on it already. In fact my dream is to turn the corner on the Mall and do the old sprint finish, leaving a couple of Frenchies gasping in my wake. Talk about rubbing their noses in it!

A pipedream? Well, to some maybe. But not to this kiddie! Nope – I’m your man for Gold your Lordship!! Just imagine, come 2012 and the BBC Sports Personality of the Year – we’d make the Dream Team wouldn’t we? You and your chaps in the Olympic office as Best Team and your man Ron here as Sports Personality of the Year! I can’t wait to see Sue Barker twitch when she sees us two eh?

So, if you could send me an entry form for the race I’ll do the necessaries and let you have it back pronto. I assume you just need date of birth and a signature.
Now, being a true Brit, in exchange for my commitment I ask for nothing in return. That said, if you could have word with the chaps who do the warm weather training I’d be grateful. It’s flippin’ parky round these country lanes I can tell you.

You can send my suit, tie, track suit and Olympic pumps to me at the above address. As it happens, I am taking part in a number of events both at home and overseas and I’d be proud to wear some of your Olympic gear – if nothing else it should help shift a few tickets for you. You can follow my Olympic training programme on the internet at www.ronhillsalterego.blogspot.com

Best of luck with the building work.

Keep on tapering

Ron

Response from Lord Coe dated 16th February - and signed personally by Lord Coe. Note to other Captains of sport and industry - not signed by a Numptie!

Dear Ron

Thank you for your letter and enthusiasm and support for London 2012.

I am delighted that you are training for the marathon with the aim of competing in 2012. However it is not possible to "apply" for any sport in the Olympic or Paralympic Games. All athletes must qualify for the Great Britain team by achieving the qualifying criteria in national and international competitions.

I would suggest that you join your local athletics club who will be able to provide you with support and advice. You can find a full list of clubs across the country on the UK Athletics website www.ukathletics.net

Thank you for writing and good luck on the road to 2012.

With best wishes

Sebastian Coe KBE
Chairman
London 2102

Now then - I don't know about you - but if that isn't a ringing endorsement for me to tally-ho towards London 2012 I don't know what is!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

G'day Ron,
Do ya reckon that was really his Sebness? or just nanny/daddy Coe again (oops, hope he ain't departed this mortal coil :)
Regardless, after your incredibly well-crafted letter, must be soo disheartening for ya!
Like so much pissing into the wind!!
Pass the pro-formas please! lol!